Since it was founded in 1953, Schweizer Präzisions-Motorenteile has produced approximately 220 million precision engine and steering components.
On June 1st 1953, Karl C. Schweizer and his son Heinz Schweizer began manufacturing valve guides for the German automobile industry and the spare parts market in the Gartenstraße in Nellingen near Stuttgart in Germany. In the subsequent years, due to the precision of its components, the company has captured a share of more than European market.
In 1958, the monthly valve guide production surpassed the 100,000 mark. In the following year, more than 1 million engine components were manufactured. This made it necessary to move to a larger and more modern production site.
In 1959, we moved into our new facilities at No. 15 Lerchenbergstrasse, which, after several extensions, now covers an area of 4,500 m≤ (= approx. 48,500 sq. ft.). Here, our 60 employees produce approximately 11 million precision parts per year.
From the early 1960s to the present
In the early 1960s, we started producing steering components – in particular valve bushings. The steering component business developed positively in the subsequent years, so we expanded into the production of flexural bars and, in the mid-1980s, torsion bars for modern power steering assemblies.
This was followed by the production of a complete steering component, the PCF torsion bar, employing state-of-the-art manufacturing technologies such as rotary swaging and laser welding. Our steering parts are delivered to customers in Germany, Europe, Southeast Asia, and Latin America.
Since the end of the 1990s, the production programme has been expanded to include components for turbochargers, which are now produced in large numbers.
After his father's death in 1971, Heinz Schweizer took over the running of the company before passing on the responsibility to his sons, Joachim and Markus, in 2002. Today, the fourth generation of the Schweizer family is active in our Swabian family business.